Tuesday 27 January 2015

Benefit They're Real Push-up Liner

I'm back with another review today and this time it will be about a product from an international brand, Benefit. I purchased this product due to the recommendation by my sister. She told me that this product was new and received a lot of attention online. I found out that this is a gel liner but in a pen form, and as I usually use gel I thought maybe a pen form gel liner would be quite handy and easy to use, but it doesn't seem to be what I expected...

Product Information

This is a matte black gel formula won't smudge, budge or dry out, and the innovative soft AccuFlex Tip hugs your lashline from corner to corner. The closer the line, the bigger the eye!

  • 991% said it was longwearing*
  • 81% said it was waterproof*
  • 88% said it hugged the lashline*
  • 84% said eyes looked visibly larger*
*Results observed in a consumer panel survey on 32 women after 2 weeks

Features of the AccuFlex™ Tip
  • Soft, custom angled tip draws an easy line
  • Flat, wide guard gently pushes lashes aside to get close to lashline
  • Wide base for stable application


- Benefit

How to use
  • Twist base once to “push up” gel liner to tip
  • Resting the AccuFlex™ tip on the base of your lashes, slowly guide along your lashline from the inner or outer corner. The angled AccuFlex™ tip works both ways

What I think...
I think it's a great idea because a pen form gel liner is so much more travel friendly, and easier to maintain. The packaging is pretty classy too, it looks very much like a mascara. 

However, the formula is not for me. I think it's too dry and therefore it does not apply on smoothly. I also find that it leaves gaps along the line when I apply it. As the gel product comes out whenever you twist the bottom of the pen, very often too much is released and you waste too much product or you apply the eye liner on your eye in a big clump.... Not ideal. 


I'm also not fond of the soft tip because I find that it moves too much and I cannot apply my liner on as accurately as I hope and would with a normal gel liner and brush. I have heard from other beauty bloggers that it does need time to get used, however I don't always have time to 'get used' to it because most of the time I am applying my make-up in the morning and having to leave before a certain time. 

Nevertheless, the gel itself is a very pigmented black gel and does not smudge. It's also waterproof. In the photo below I ran my hand through water and I did try to smudge it so you can see it has budged a little, but it's not too bad. 


Hand ran under water.
I also tried to smudge the liner.
Removed with oil cleanser.
Pros
  • Good idea of a product
  • Pigmented 
  • Travel friendly
  • Waterproof
  • Long wearing
Cons
  • Dry formula
  • Needs time to get used to
  • Too much product wasted
  • Product clumps at pen tip

I haven't really tried this liner many times because I find it too much of hassle to 'give time' to get used to and apply it on as I would with other gel liners. From my few experiences of this liner, I find it too dry for me and what I dislike about it most would be that it does not apply on smoothly. Also, another thing is that too much product often clumps together at the tip and so that can easily create mistakes when drawing your eye liner on, which is something I often get frustrated about. 

Overall, I think that there was a bit too much hype about the product and it does not really live up to my expectations of the products and hype. However, I might be a chance in the near future because i don't want to waste the product and money I spent on it, so if my opinion changes on the product I will update this review. 

My Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment