Friday 16 January 2015

Real Techniques Retractable Kabuki Brush Review

As I started gaining interest in bronzers and blushes last year, I thought it would be good to start investing brushes also to help apply such products and so I went for the popular Real Techniques brushes. 



Product Information
'An essential on-the-go tool that evenly applies powders, bronzers or blush. 
Use with bronzer or highlighter to define and contour the hollows of the cheeks.
Use with blush to fill out apples of the cheeks.' 

- Real Techniques



What I think...
I have only bought one from them so far and I do think its great. It feels incredibly soft on my skin and applies on my bronzers very well, but I have actually yet to use with blush. The brush is is very dense and very soft on the skin. The brush also really helps with achieving a very soft application, with bronzers, powders and blushers. 

Washing the brushes is very simple and it dries pretty quickly and no bristles are lost after washing. I usually do a quick wash the brush by wiping it against a tissue, in which I have already wet with Brush Shower Cleaner. Other days, I will wash it in a pot with the solution and rinse with water.


I also had trouble when I first tried placing the cap on the brush because there were no instructions. I ended up having a few bristols trapped when I tried placing the cap without knowing to use the retractable brush properly, so it does look a little messy. 

I only learnt how to place the cap on properly by searching online and found a photo that the pink plastic, where the bristles join, can be pulled up to protect the bristles when placing the cap on. Once you place the cap on and push it down into place, the pink plastic layer is pushed down, so you can then see the bristles through the cap. 


I have been using this brush for about 3 months now, and I think its great. I love that there was the option to buy a retractable brush because I was planning on taking it out with me and using it to reapply powder during the day, so having the cap would be most hygienic. 

However, not long ago the cap had cracked. I pretty sure its due either putting my handbag down too heavy, that or due to throwing and slamming my bag down... I can't blame anyone for myself for that but it did make me think that it could have been stronger to avoid cracking during such cases as it is a retractable brush, ideal for travelling, so its possible to have accidents like mine. 


The packaging is nothing special, but the plastic box is good enough at protecting the bristles of the brush whilst its in the box. 

Pros
  • Extremely soft
  • Retractable - travel friendly and hygienic 
  • Multi-use
Cons
  • Cap cracks easily

I am unhappy that my cap has cracked and only about 2 months of purchase, but I still think that the brush itself is great. I really love how soft the bristles are and cleaning the brush is also very easy. I am thinking about buying another, not sure if I want to go for another retractable brush considering what happened to this one, but I really do love the idea of it. 


My Rating: 4/5






No comments:

Post a Comment