Tuesday 2 September 2014

YSL Fusion Ink Foundation Review

For the past year or so, I have been only using the Estee Lauder Long Last foundation but I have recently purchased a new foundation to try out and it's the YSL Fusion Ink Foundation. I heard that it's for all skin types, matte finish and build-able coverage, which are all factors that must be checked off before I decide to purchase a foundation, and because it claimed to do so and from reviews I decided to go for it. 


I have used this a few times already and was really excited about it, considering all the good things I heard about it, but I am actually a little disappointed. 



Product Information

According to YSL, this foundation gives 24 hour soft-matte perfection and comfort. The exclusive dine-as-ink formula pefects the skin, yet wears weightlessly all day. Its never cakey or heavy. It feels like a feather, wear like ink and no more compromise.

Includes SPF18 and available in 18 shades.

Net Weight: 25ml / 0.84 fl. oz

How to apply

- Shake well
- Wipe off excess product on the side of the bottle
- Zone the face with swipes of the applicator
- Blend the formula in 

What I think...
I have combination-oily skin, and when I say oily I mean very oily. In the morning, after applying foundation, my skin can sometimes get incredibly dry, to the point where where you can see flakes on my skin, but a few hours later my skin will get very oily, especially after eating. It's such a bother! I was hoping this foundation would help me stay matte for longer, as well as good coverage, but I found that I get oily only after 4 hours of application and would have to blot very frequently throughout the rest of the day. In comparison, I don't tend to get as oily with my Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation, which is why I would say I prefer Double Wear. Also a couple hours after application, the foundation oxides and darkens to match my skin tone (wear time), which is not what I'm looking for as I prefer to go for a lighter shade to brighten up my skin tone.

However, there are good points about the foundation and the best thing is how incredibly soft this foundation is. I really love how soft the foundation is and feels upon application, it is definitely the softest feeling foundation I have ever tested. It applies so nicely and my skin does not end up looking dry after application, which it usually does, and it's so easy to blend. The consistency is very thin, very lightweight and non-greasy. It does provide build-able coverage and the finished look does look great. It also feels very light and comfortable on the skin.

Another thing I really like is the packaging of the product. I love its elegance. There are two lids to the product, one is the square lid you can see in the photo and the other lid, which is a black circle shape, screws on top of the opening of the bottle and it is also attached to the applicator. Apologies for cutting it off in the photo below. 

This foundation does not come with a pump, but an applicator. I tend to use quite a bit of product for coverage so I have to dip the applicator in around 3-4 times. I would much prefer a pump because it's much faster to dispense and apply the foundation, compared to an applicator.

BD 40, Golden Beige
Application
Mid-way through application
Finished look
Pros
  • Incredibly soft
  • Easy to blend
  • Lightweight and non-greasy upon application 
  • Nice finish right after application
Cons
  • Oily after 4 hours - personally
  • Requires frequent blotting
  • Oxidises and darkens to skin tone (wear time) - personally
  • No pump - it's an applicator
  • Expensive

I included 'personally' in the cons above because I'm not sure whether this happens to other people also and I haven't really heard about it. Overall, I am disappointed with this product. The only thing I love about this foundation is it's softness and how easy it is to blend, but it's a real shame that the foundation is not right for me, despite it claiming to be for all skin types. It does none of them things for me and I actually prefer the Estee Lauder Double Wear, because my face doesn't get as oily as fast as it does with this. It's rather expensive, which is expected for high end products, but finding out it doesn't work for me seems like money down the drain. I would not recommend this for anyone with oily skin, and all in all I think this product has been over-hyped.


My Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment